Monday, September 12, 2011

Giving Thanks

In part to try to diffuse the “Mama Bear” that has been engaged over the past couple of weeks and in part because it is long overdue, I want to take time to say thank you to the teachers that have touched our lives over the years. It only takes one bad experience to remind us how fortunate we are every time we get to partner with outstanding teachers. Rick and I have been incredibly blessed over the years with such teachers, and it’s high time we acknowledged their greatness.

Before I begin I’d like to offer one observation. I know that people are likely to assume professors of education will be overly harsh in their assessments of their children’s teachers. I’m sure I’ve done more than my share to reinforce this image in my past two blog posts. True, teacher educators and professors of other facets of education “know more” and can criticize more explicitly when it comes to work in schools. But frankly, that’s just half of the story. Yes, we know more, so we also know more deeply why great teachers are so great. We, more than the average parent, know the challenges schools face, so we know when they are overcoming countless obstacles to be great. Further, while we may advocate for specific forms of curriculum and pedagogy, we also support teaching as a profession, and thus will be the first in line to advocate for teacher autonomy. Therefore, as a professor of education with 23 years of experience in schools, I am truly humbled by the level of greatness my children have encountered over the years.

Thank you Mrs. Wilson. You have made the first three weeks of first grade welcoming and engaging for Niamh. She walks out of the building every day with a smile on her face. She bubbles over talking about the things going on in class. She has become the family expert on Hawaii, and she reads with confidence and enthusiasm. She looks forward to school every day. She feels loved and supported while she is there.

Thank you, Jamie Lester, and your family. You are an amazing soccer coach for our girls. In a mere three weeks you have taken two shy and pensive girls and taught them how to engage with others in the game. You’ve built their confidence and taught them skills that will help them in the future (whether they choose to stay in soccer or not). Your wife and daughter have joined in to encourage and support them. You’ve also taught Niamh that it isn’t about winning – a lesson Rick and I have tried to teach for years. You’ve done far more than just say “good job,” in general and easy ways. You’ve seen what they do well and how they’ve improved, and you’ve shared your observations with them so that they know how authentic your praise is.

Thank you, Carrie Skirvin. You made Niamh’s kindergarten experience absolutely amazing. The other day the girls were “picking” an age where they’d like to stay forever. Niamh said she wanted to stay five forever so she could stay with you in Super K. What I appreciate most of all was how much you enjoyed the children – laughing with them and making the classroom such a positive experience. I know you had an incredible span of abilities in that class – but the kids didn’t know that. In spite of the challenges of huge differences and the increased pressures to teach so much in kindergarten, you managed to do so lovingly and in a way that kept the kids excited about learning. Niamh has memories from Super K that will last a lifetime. We can never thank you enough.

Thank you, Patty Grever. You taught Audrey so much. You too had an incredible span of abilities in your class – and many needs among the students. You created a warm and supportive environment in the classroom where kids blossomed. You created a classroom climate where students supported one another and celebrated in one another’s achievements. You supported Audrey’s love of reading and learning and encouraged her in so many ways. You also made your classroom a welcoming place for parents. I don’t know how you managed your day when so many parents came in to speak with you, but you did – and what a difference that must have made. You clearly and daily demonstrated that education is a partnership between home and school.

Thank you, Mrs. Simpkins. As the principal of Grandview Elementary School you created a warm and supportive environment for children and their families. You greeted children and parents nearly every day – standing outside or at the front door. Whenever children wrote to you, you immediately wrote back and mailed the letters to their homes. You made sure there were no distinctions between the children who had resources at home and those who did not. You worked diligently to ensure the school had the resources it needed to help children and their families. You also made sure parents were around – lots of them – to help the children. I’ve never seen a school with such an active parent group. You wanted parents there to see the great things happening in the school – and for good reason. I wish all principals could see what you and the teachers have done for children and their families at Grandview.

Thank you, Mrs. Curtice. You taught Audrey so much in kindergarten. It was such a critical time in her life as an early reader, and you supported her growth in reading in consistent and meaningful ways. Even though it was a half-day program, you managed to provide outstanding instruction in reading, math, science, and social studies. You communicated with us regularly and welcomed parents to be involved. Thank you for supporting Audrey’s kindergarten year as a partnership between home and school.

Thank you, Miss Amy. We were doubly blessed that both our girls got to learn from you in pre-K. There’s so much that we appreciate from your class, that it’s hard to narrow it down to a paragraph. You got Niamh to cross the threshold on that first day (and many figurative thresholds thereafter). You helped her to become more independent while maintaining loving support. You sparked their love of science – something we hope that they don’t lose in the NCLB era of what isn’t tested isn’t taught. You helped them both learn what it means to learn with others. You also KNEW our children. You knew what their academic and social needs were – and you responded to those needs even when they may be very different from the needs of others in your class.

Thank you Mr. Matt. We are so thankful that both of our girls had your as their afternoon Pre-K teacher. When so many might blow off afternoons as times to just have fun, you taught them – often in subtle (dare I say sneaky?) ways so they didn’t realize they were learning. You also “saw” them – you knew the ins and outs of their learning and their socializing and supported them in both.

Thank you Miss Aida. What can I say about the two years we got to have you as a teacher? I say “we” because you were there for all of us. Some of my fondest memories of the girls’ experiences at “Horsey School” are the mornings when I sat at that table with you and helped the kids with their morning art. You made your classroom warm, welcoming, and comfortable for all of us. And the art – oh how our girls loved the art in your class! It’s hard to look over those books you put together and all the pictures from your room without getting teary.

Thank you Miss Irena. You were the first introduction to “school” that Audrey had, and I think it’s because of the amazing experiences in your class that she decided she wanted to become a teacher. I was always amazed at how much you were able to “teach” two-year-olds and how much you helped them grow and develop. I also appreciate how you were willing to ask hard questions. If you read into my body language that something was wrong, you didn’t hesitate to ask, “Is everything o.k.?” You helped me learn how to be a parent instead of a teacher. I am forever grateful for that.

Thank you Miss Jennifer. You were an amazing teacher both in and outside of school. You didn’t stop teaching after 6:00. You were just as willing to teach or redirect the girls when were in the middle of a play date, wandering through the Botanical Gardens, or eating out somewhere. We were so incredibly fortunate to have you there to watch our girls when we went away for conferences. I am honored to be your friend and partner in the girls’ education.

Thank you, Miss Sadika. You watched over my precious baby when she wasn’t even two years old. It was so hard to leave her there in those early days, but your warm smile assured me that everything would be o.k. – and it was more than o.k. You taught her as well. We can never thank you enough.

I know many others have had a hand in teaching Audrey and Niamh. I am thankful for music teachers, teachers’ aids, directors, and others who’ve touched their lives. I cannot go back and thank each of you as often as I should have over the years. I can only work to make sure I never take great teaching for granted again.

Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. It was my pleasure. I'm happy I got the chance to know Audrey and Niamh, as well as you and Rick. And thank you for putting up with my antics and idiosyncrasies -- I think your characterization of me is correct -- I know my style was not for everyone, and it wasn't always right. But I wanted to create an atmosphere of learning that was associated with fun and wonder, probably because that was the experience I never had in school. It was only after high school (seriously) that I came to have that relationship with learning.

    While we're giving thanks, I'd like to say that being a teacher was one of the greatest experiences of my life, because of who I got to know and what I came away with in the end, namely, a deep appreciation for how wonderful and important education is.

    I'm sorry hear about the nonsense with Audrey's teacher. I've been reading your grievances and I get more irritated the farther down I go. That teacher should feel lucky s/he has you. So I have to ask, did you send that haymaker of a letter after the conference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'm glad you're updating your blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Matt. I've still not given up hope that your interest in philosophy turns to philosophy of education so you can make a difference with other teacher. . . I'll keep bugging you about it. The letter I sent got the same points across (and a few others, I must confess that didn't come to be in the first round) - but it was a bit more moderate (just a bit).

    ReplyDelete