Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Dashed Hopes and Pop Psychology

“We’re going to whip up on the boys. . .” my daughter exclaimed as she bounced into the car this afternoon. “Excuse me?” I asked. “That’s what Miss ________ said when we were practicing!” was her reply. “Practicing?” I inquired. “Yes, for the math relay - boys against girls!”

And there it was. The one glimmer of hope from this already-too-long school year dashed. In the midst of our pleas to the school administration two weeks ago, we heard one small message that gave us hope. “Oh, Ms. ________ has assured us that she won’t be doing the math competitions between boys and girls. . .” It was the only point in the meeting where we felt the administration had “seen” the absurdity of it all and responded. It was the one small effort on this teacher’s part of recognizing our concerns even when she wouldn’t budge on anything else. All gone.

I spent the ride home fantasizing about a conversation I might have with the principal – all in the folksiness that seems to be required of school conferences, “Why Ms. Principal, I don’t know how you do things here in West Virginia, but in Georgia we’d call that insubordination – just say’n. . . . “ to which (it is my fantasy after all) the principal profusely apologizes and immediately writes the teacher up for the infraction. Yeah, right. . . . .

Instead, I sent an email to the teacher and c.c.ed the principal – letting her know that there was no need to set up a conference regarding the issues surrounding the report card – that if she could not follow through on a promise she made to her own administration we certainly had no hope that she would listen to us or do anything differently.

Later this evening as I was wandering through the grocery store I continued to wrestle with the absolutely wretched behavior of this woman. At some point in the middle of a near empty store, it hit me. Please forgive the pop psychology that follows. I suddenly realized that I had been trying to understand this woman from the perspective of a functional and rational human being. I assumed that her line of thinking would fall in line with mainstream teachers and, if so, she couldn’t help but see the negative implications of her actions.

But then I thought about it. There are a lot of damaged and dysfunctional people in the world. To some extent, we all carry about a lot of baggage and could probably count ourselves in a very large part of the population that is functionally damaged in some way. For most of us, we learn to cope with our issues and hopefully find ways to be in the world that won't exacerbate our weaknesses or increase their effects on others.

So, I began to think, “What if this IS the way this woman sees the world?” What if life is some big competition for her? What could have happened in this woman’s life that would make her so obsesses with seeing the world full of winners and losers? Did she grow up as a loser and prove herself otherwise? Did she always see herself as a “winner” and now wants everyone else to be defined accordingly? Was her family highly competitive and thus her worth was only recognized when it was accompanied by “best” or any number of adjectives as long as they ended in “-est”? If that is the case, then I imagine that she sees her interactions with Rick and me as a competition. She is out to “beat” us. When faced with a simple problem like promoting gendered competition in math and in spite of assuring her own administration that she would stop, she continues. Something is very, very wrong. Why else would she do this unless it is to “beat” us - to show us a thing or two?

Wow. What a frightening possibility. Rick and I are at a loss to respond at this point. If Audrey was older, we could have a developmentally appropriate conversation with her and hope that she would boycott this competition. That is too much to impose on a second grader at this point. For now, we just sit and wait – and hope that some administrative intervention prevails. Unlike my last blog entry, I’m not holding out much faith at this point. . . .

3 comments:

  1. I read your blog postings and I get all-PTSD-like from our experience at the neighborhood school. Hang tight, cause I think you are starting to see that the system is so tight, you ain't gonna fit yourself into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna,

    I've been reading your blog since we've met but have not posted.

    I think you're onto something with the pop psychology. Some people do indeed see every interaction as a win/lose situation. Those who don't must think hard about which particular battles are really worth pursuing with force. You're an educator, and you know what you're talking about and are passionate about how you feel. Unfortunately, this battle is most likely not about what is good/bad from your/her perspective. It is about control (in her eyes, I mean) and I'd be willing to bet that she is determined to continue as she has always done.

    One thing I have learned about some administrations from a parent's point of view is...well, they rarely act themselves. The nightmare I've had to deal with regarding my special needs child in a "blue ribbon school" (gag) was unreal, and the admin liked to talk in circles enough to quiet the parents without ever addressing what truly needed change.

    My ever-so-humble two cents, which may be worth less to you! Ha!

    Miss you guys! And those sweet girls!

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in school in Morgantown, West Virginia in my 1st grade in 1965 or so in the first two weeks Mrs. Parsons spanked me for putting my name on my desk with a crayon. I learned in that week that school was unsafe. It was a hard lesson. And I recall nothing else of that year with Georgia Parsons. I know she hit kids and I know she was so "well thought of" in that community. Her relatives in positions of University life. No one ever spoke of the unhinged lady that beat you in a coat room. My folks (from outside this culture) I think in a way utterly unable to protect me,they had their own issues, and though they weren't happy with this-it ruled there.So did segregation in the schools, so did many other ugly things. Now I read a site on FB where my peers, all in their 50's recall these "good old days of rod and rigidity and pain". And recount things that should put you in jail.When I take their very own words and say no one should ever have done this they agree and then still praise some maniac or other that got away with this conduct in Monongalia County Schools. There were plenty. My folks failed to note for 7 more years I needed glasses in that particular case, my crayon writing one, I had to ask kids what was going on-and another child told me that's what we were to do. To "get me"-imagine learning that kids did stuff like that. What followed over the years were tons of situations where I saw kids paddled, punished, humiliated. It's so much a part of that system.They don't hit now but I guarantee the culture of that is there. Because they NEVER owned and Repudiated it and took responsibility-the folks stay and it is internalized. It's raw, rough, primal stuff. Gosh the people there reminisce about it. It's within those that you are encountering assuredly. Very few were not that, but they all were silently complicit, so what if you are not that but know it sits in the room next door. It's nuts. It's most likely this teacher thinks herself a vast improvement over "what was." I know that's very difficult for you. I wish you could hear it all through time. Know of it really. The "culture" in the hills there is not at the level of understanding you. I'm sorry. When I left 25 years ago I can assure you it was not where you are at in terms of your understandings... Again I'm so sorry. Whooping up on the boys is as old Appalachia as you can git.

    ReplyDelete