Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Curriculum of the Heart Introduction

I am beginning this blog as a commitment - not only to the blog itself but to the education of my children.  For years Rick and I have theorized about schooling, editorialized about what is going on in education today, and engaged in deep and meaningful discussions about the "what ifs" of the world.  Now we are compelled to put our ideas into practice.  

Our daughters, Audrey (5) and Niamh (4) are amazing human beings.  We've been so fortunate to spend the last five years experiencing parenthood.  Now it is officially time to become explicit "educators."  It all started when Audrey came "of age."  It's time for kindergarten.  We chose not to enroll her in the public school that's five doors down from our house.  While I spent 11 years as a public educator - elementary and middle school teacher and administrator - I just couldn't subject my daughter to what I see as an accountability and achievement culture that strips away meaning, excitement, and the honoring of the human spirit like I see in schools today.  Ultimately we enrolled her in a half-day program after serious discussions about home schooling.  Frankly, we just weren't ready for the realities of home schooling and didn't feel as if we had the kind of network that would make it work.  

Now we are "blessed" (all a matter of perspective, right?) with a half-day program that allows us to explore home schooling in a very controlled way.  She'll be getting her official kindergarten instruction from 9 until 1.  That means we can explore those grand "what ifs" that we've talked about for so long from 1 until we pick up her sister from her pre-K class.  Thus the blog.  I hope to chronicle the ups and downs - the approximations toward our ideals - through this space.

Of course, I'm not quite sure when I'll do it.  I'm challenging any and all friends who see this to continually bug me if I don't stay active in this space.  Negotiating time has already become our biggest challenge, and much like Maslow's hierarchy, that's got to be reconciled first before anything else of any significance can emerge.  Hopefully that will come soon with kindergarten starting next Tuesday.  

So, Connie (who first suggested a blog) here it is.  I'm excited to see where it goes from here.  . .


3 comments:

  1. Donna, I'm excited to follow your journey with Rick, Audrey, and Niamh. I read the book "you are your child's first teacher" years ago and was so inspired by it. We considered Waldorf-style homeschooling for a time, but we could never pull it off during the day. So our kids have been in public school, and we "homeschool" in other ways. The balance has been good for all of us. I look forward to learning from your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, Here's a place to recommend *The Ignorant Schoolmaster* by Jacques Ranciere. http://www.amazon.com/Ignorant-Schoolmaster-Lessons-Intellectual-Emancipation/dp/0804719691. The book recounts and builds on the story of Jacotot's pedagogy of ignorance, where he found he was more successful teaching from ignorance, and was led to a pedagogy of emancipation/ liberation based on this, including programs for illiterates to teach their children to read, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds wonderful Peter - thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete